Author Topic: SV650 Power and Racing at World of Speed  (Read 3283 times)

Offline Polly29

• New folks
SV650 Power and Racing at World of Speed
« on: October 23, 2012, 07:39:58 PM »
I'm beginning to get my SV650 ready for World of Speed 2013 and was going to buy a Power Commander III.

While looking I came across the following article and am a little concerned...

"Power Upgrades
One of the first things many want to do is upgrade the power. The bad news is that the bike comes well designed from the factory. You won't get much with a Power Commander III, K&N intake, or even a full exhaust system. If you want more gains, rebuild the engine, but the lifespan of a SV650 that makes more than 70 hp is severely lessened."

Does anyone know if all the above is correct information? Anyone know of power upgrades that truly make a difference?

Thanks!!

LittleLiner

Re: SV650 Power and Racing at World of Speed
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 12:07:16 AM »
How much HP were you expecting to get?  Will it be enough to out power a CR600RR, or GSXR600, or any of the other 600cc 4 cylinder sport bikes?  The reason I ask is because you will be competing against those engines . . .

Or are you planning on running in the 130mph or 150mph class?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 12:12:49 AM by LittleLiner »

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 12:45:14 AM »
The Suzuki SV650 is rated at 70 hp.
The GSXR600 is rated at 100 hp.

There is a long way to go on performance.
If you want more gains, rebuild the engine, but the lifespan of a SV650 that makes more than 70 hp is severely lessened."

The key words are "lifespan lessened". The stock engine is conservative so that you can get 50,000 miles out of it.
Any thing that raises horsepower lowers lifespan. It's the relatively short life of a race engine.

It may be true that a Power Commander III won't get you gains on the stock engine. But it will certainly allow mapping for a modified engine.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 11:19:48 PM »
Polly, a fellow in our Triumph club owns a Suzuki like yours.  He says they are used in road racing and there are people who know a lot about hopping them up.  He said there is an internet forum.  "SV650" is the name, as best as I can recall.

My bike is a modern twin cylinder like yours.  It is not competitive against the four cylinder bikes of the same displacement in any class that they can run.  The FIM has twin cylinder classes and our bikes are able to win in those. 

The Suzuki is a good bike to learn on and getting into the 130 club would be a noble goal.

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 04:37:04 PM »
I'm beginning to get my SV650 ready for World of Speed 2013 and was going to buy a Power Commander III.

While looking I came across the following article and am a little concerned...

"Power Upgrades
One of the first things many want to do is upgrade the power. The bad news is that the bike comes well designed from the factory. You won't get much with a Power Commander III, K&N intake, or even a full exhaust system. If you want more gains, rebuild the engine, but the lifespan of a SV650 that makes more than 70 hp is severely lessened."

Does anyone know if all the above is correct information? Anyone know of power upgrades that truly make a difference?

Thanks!!

Lots of info at this website:
http://www.svrider.com/forum/

That being said I am not sure it's the best application to compete with the inline 4's.

However, these are great bikes I have owned several and they will rail with the best of them. I also have a friend who has one that has 225,000 or 250,000 on the engine without a rebuild, great little machines!