Author Topic: World Finals 2012 Racing  (Read 154587 times)

Offline saltcatracing

• New folks
Re: World Finals 2012 Racing
« Reply #255 on: October 06, 2012, 02:14:32 PM »
Salt Cat backed up the XXO/BGS with a new record of 241.506 mph.  We then tried to improve upon our existing fuel record (223.970 mph) and ran into problems.  Great racing season, set 5 new records!

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
    • Speed Bumps on the Road to Perdition
« Reply #256 on: October 06, 2012, 04:47:36 PM »
The audio we sent was from our FM tuner picking up the BNI FM on the new frequency of 88.9.  Speeds are no longer announced on the CB.  In the radio trailer, they have computer monitors tied to the timing tower computers.  Also, they have communications radios going that we could hear in the background today. 

Our kit did well.  I asked Texican if, in future years, he might like to look in on it once in awhile if I'm not at every meet.  Perhaps two or three others might be willing to do the same, learn how to turn it on in sequence, or turn it back on if it does go off line, and, of course, turn it off in proper sequence at the end of a race day and shut off the generator.  Easy squeasy, pays nothing but my thanks if I'm trapped at home while the lucky people are on the salt.  Just a thought, I'll ask again next summer.

Well, speaking just for myself, I had a great time, despite not being in the game, getting a timing slip, and being a racer.  Someday.  I finished my bucket list October 20, 1989 and now everything is a hobby, a vocation, or simply something I enjoy.  Perhaps I'll enjoy an FIM project thyis winter. 
Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
http://speedbumpsontheroadtoperdition.wordpress.com/

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #257 on: October 06, 2012, 05:07:01 PM »
Salt Cat backed up the XXO/BGS with a new record of 241.506 mph.  We then tried to improve upon our existing fuel record (223.970 mph) and ran into problems.  Great racing season, set 5 new records!

Outstanding!  It was great to see ya and visit a bit.  See ya in August!  (Or maybe in May of ya do the Mojave Mile.)

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #258 on: October 06, 2012, 05:17:33 PM »
Got home a little while ago.  I shot a lot of the return runs from the 1.5 mile.  I'll post some later.  I found a box sitting on my door...it was a new Radeon 6840 dual-monitor graphics card...my 4840 had bitten the dust and was causing my "mainframe" system to shut down.  So I installed that, got it running, now I have to transfer files from the laptop, get the Target 550 post taken care of, unload the Burb and a buncha other stuff.  The fun never stops.

It was great to see so many friends on the salt...and it was a great season.  I came back with my Burb and race car intact.  Coulda been a lot worse.  My cameras took a little hit:  My Canon 7D lost a shutter which I got fixed and my 40D just plain croaked.  I bought Pork Pie's old 5D Mk I which had been completely rebuilt, so I now have a full frame camera as well as a crop-sensor camera and a 20D backup.  This arrangement worked out pretty well. 

And like everyone else, I have a long list of "over the winter" projects.  But the plan is to be back at WoS with a car that actually runs like it's supposed to and a full roll cage...and a halfway decent paint job.

Best regards to everyone,

Offline mtkawboy

« Reply #259 on: October 06, 2012, 07:21:20 PM »
Atta boy to my Salt Cat buds & all the other record setters, plus thanks to Slim, Ray & everyone else for the info, news & pictures, great job by all

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #260 on: October 07, 2012, 01:11:37 AM »
Yes, thanks to all.  It was enjoyable watching it from afar.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #261 on: October 07, 2012, 06:23:28 AM »
CONGRATULATIONS  PP and thanks to SS #1 and crew

Thanks to SSS, Ray & U techies for meet coverage and the sound--- :cheers: I am sure video will not be far behind,  Thanks to ALL the SCTA VOLS---thanks to GB for the volunteer service all these years----- and "MEMORIES  Computers are  bring us so much and make SO MUCH more hp and speeds possible 
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Gman

« Reply #262 on: October 07, 2012, 06:51:37 AM »
I'm back home now after we had a very educational trip to the world finals.  I wanted to say thanks to Slim and Max (I also thanked each of them in per$on) and thanks to all the SCTA-BNI workers, inspectors, and the Lands End Crew (I love that Lynda offered to yank us out of our vintage truck and rough us up some if we didn't behave....good times!)  I beleive we have satisfied Lee Kennedy and his team of our ability to run safely. On friday we were told to only run to the 3 mile, so we did. We ran 322 in the quarter and let off at the 3 as promised. Pretty sure that earned Bob his unlimited license. Kinda sorry I was so busy working on the car that I didn't get over to the Vesco pit and introduce myself propery to Mr Glen B. (Hopefully i'll have more time at Speedweek) Did  Ray or anybody happen to get a picture of our car at speed on the course? 
It's time to stop reading about history and start creating it

Online jl222

« Reply #263 on: October 07, 2012, 11:56:29 AM »
I'm back home now after we had a very educational trip to the world finals.  I wanted to say thanks to Slim and Max (I also thanked each of them in per$on) and thanks to all the SCTA-BNI workers, inspectors, and the Lands End Crew (I love that Lynda offered to yank us out of our vintage truck and rough us up some if we didn't behave....good times!)  I beleive we have satisfied Lee Kennedy and his team of our ability to run safely. On friday we were told to only run to the 3 mile, so we did. We ran 322 in the quarter and let off at the 3 as promised. Pretty sure that earned Bob his unlimited license. Kinda sorry I was so busy working on the car that I didn't get over to the Vesco pit and introduce myself propery to Mr Glen B. (Hopefully i'll have more time at Speedweek) Did  Ray or anybody happen to get a picture of our car at speed on the course? 

Wow :-o  322 in the 1/4 :cheers:  How was it entered? Name-class-number?

JL222

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #264 on: October 07, 2012, 12:20:28 PM »
This one from Oct 5???

7800    A    BFS    Dalton Jackson Spl   322.114  333.333   290.890   148.046  90.900   333.333

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline landsendlynda

« Reply #265 on: October 07, 2012, 01:04:23 PM »
Just had to let you all know what a WONDERFUL event we had!!!  Everyone was excited every morning about the perfect racing weather we had and the records that were broken!!!  Everyone was patient waiting for the gate to open and there wasn't one person that needed a "discussion"!!!  Of course, there was the normal joking, but the coffee and food (I guess I'm nicer when I have food in my stomach too!  :roll: ) kept me out there ready to greet everyone!!  Thank you all for sharing your triumphs with me and allowing me to be part of your dreams.  I think this was the BEST World Finals ever!! 

For those who didn't come....you missed the perfect racing weather!!!!!   :cry:
For those who couldn't come......wish you could have been here, you missed the perfect racing weather!   :-(
For those who got their records....CONGRATULATIONS!!   :cheers:
For the new RED HAT owners............WOOHOO!!!!!!! Life long dreams came true!!! 
and finally....
For ALL of the Land Speed Racers............THANK YOU FOR DREAMING AND CHASING THOSE DREAMS!!!!!!
Hope all of you have a safe journey home and a safe year.......
Now, better get busy, you only have 10 months to get ready for Speed Week 2013!!!!!   :-D

Lynda
Volunteer roadblock at Land's End! Yes, you need your stinkin badge! I'm your Dream Keeper, I protect your dream on the asphalt so you can chase your dream on the salt!

Offline desotoman

« Reply #266 on: October 07, 2012, 01:31:50 PM »

Wow :-o  322 in the 1/4 :cheers:  How was it entered? Name-class-number?

JL222

7800    A      BFS     Dalton Jackson Spl    322.114    333.333    290.890    148.046    90.900    333.333

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #267 on: October 07, 2012, 01:33:03 PM »
This one from Oct 5???

7800    A    BFS    Dalton Jackson Spl   322.114  333.333   290.890   148.046  90.900   333.333

Mike
Bob finally got his car back to the salt? I am shocked. Great quarter speed. What happened later?

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #268 on: October 07, 2012, 01:39:07 PM »

You guys really inspire me! :cheers:

Congrats JD! :cheers:
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline racer

• Impound 2009. sweetest spot at Bonneville.
« Reply #269 on: October 07, 2012, 01:50:10 PM »
Missed the final event this year, building a land speed dream.

Hope next year is safe and FASTER.

Thanks to all involved.

See ya on the salt in 2013.

Ray C Wheeler

Just had to let you all know what a WONDERFUL event we had!!!  Everyone was excited every morning about the perfect racing weather we had and the records that were broken!!!  Everyone was patient waiting for the gate to open and there wasn't one person that needed a "discussion"!!!  Of course, there was the normal joking, but the coffee and food (I guess I'm nicer when I have food in my stomach too!  :roll: ) kept me out there ready to greet everyone!!  Thank you all for sharing your triumphs with me and allowing me to be part of your dreams.  I think this was the BEST World Finals ever!! 

For those who didn't come....you missed the perfect racing weather!!!!!   :cry:
For those who couldn't come......wish you could have been here, you missed the perfect racing weather!   :-(
For those who got their records....CONGRATULATIONS!!   :cheers:
For the new RED HAT owners............WOOHOO!!!!!!! Life long dreams came true!!! 
and finally....
For ALL of the Land Speed Racers............THANK YOU FOR DREAMING AND CHASING THOSE DREAMS!!!!!!
Hope all of you have a safe journey home and a safe year.......
Now, better get busy, you only have 10 months to get ready for Speed Week 2013!!!!!   :-D

Lynda
Ray C Wheeler