Author Topic: 600cc Project 200  (Read 102162 times)

landracing

600cc Project 200
« on: March 31, 2006, 09:36:48 PM »
Im to pressed for precious hours in the day to make a new website for this project or keep it updated so here are a bunch of pictures for this years project... Hope you like them

« Last Edit: April 22, 2007, 02:06:22 AM by landracing »

landracing

600cc Project 200
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2006, 09:39:42 PM »
I mounted a frame in an engine stand to better be able to work on system, added the motor, added the body work subframe we built, and then the body. Now I can better work on plumbing for the intercooler with all those mounted to check spacing.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2007, 02:00:34 AM by landracing »

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
600cc Project 200
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2006, 10:58:04 PM »
Awesome, data logger and all, I need one of those..gotta hit Dave up since he is the man.

Anymore pics?

J

landracing

600cc Project 200
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2006, 04:37:36 AM »
Well progress is shown sometimes in baby steps. Here are some that I finished the last couple of days. My friends from Mountain States Automation have been helping me with some machining and welding.

Ok I finished this last week. But here is a picture of a newer model ZX6E crank setup in ZX6D cases. I had to change cranks because in the D Model the big ends were 36mm and the set of rods I got (for next to nothing) fit a newer model crank which the big ends were 33 mm.  I fitted the newer crank with a new set of Carrillo rods and new main bearings across the board. I am waiting on a set of pistons from JE Pistons. If you happen to need some pistons done these guys are great... Well worth your time to inquire...

Next I got a different intercooler. The issue with that was the end inlets were a massive 3" diameter. So what we did was milled off the end plate from outside to inside, made new plates and cut new 2" pipes and welded in place. So now 2" inlets instead of 3" inlets and this is the finished product.

This is a before picture:

This is a after picture.

Next I wanted to show the swingarm extensions they made from a block of aluminum. The reduced section of the extension fits into the stock swingarm and it mates up with a lip that fits flush against the stock swingarm then bolts thru the top of the stock bolt holes. This holds the swingarm extension into place and a single bolt goes thru to hold in the existing swingarm position, center. The other end they machined out an exact replica of what the inside of the stock swingarm looked like where the adjuster mechanism fitted. This is so we can utilize the stock adjuster. These give me 4"-6" extension.

Next is we have the new coil setup mounted in place. We used the mounting holes on the water pipe coming off the head. Used a stainless piece and just used a metal brake to give a 60 degree bend. Tapped holes to accept the coils and there you have the finished product. You also see the MXL dash unit installed.

Other things that have been done that is not worthy of pictures. Is I purchased a complete set of ceramic bearings. I installed one into the sprocket hub, and I am waiting on the frame, swingarm and wheels to get back to install the rest of the bearings.

Almost have the turbo finished, we took out the internal wastegate and we are in process of installing and external wastegate. By doing to I needed to divide the two chambers from wastegate side and exhaust side. Took some thinking to get this done. The exhaust housing is made from cast iron.. It was suggested NOT to weld a plate into the housing. So we threw around a bunch of different ideas. We finally decided on one and almost finshed with it, they have some milling to do yet and ill show the finished product when done.

Jon
« Last Edit: April 22, 2007, 02:02:44 AM by landracing »

Offline John Noonan

600cc Project 200
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2006, 10:03:34 AM »
Nice pics and good progress, pistons should be done in a few days.

J

Offline Bow

600cc Project 200
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2006, 11:55:31 AM »
Jon,

Cool work!

I'm trying to figure out why your digital dash is mounted where it is ....
Bow

Cut with an axe, Beat to fit, Paint to match

landracing

600cc Project 200
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2006, 12:06:53 PM »
So I can see it. I have a very small viewing area out the front. Mounting it in front of the forks would block my vision. I can just clear the top of the dash with a line of sight when in full tuck.

Go up to the start of the post, and look at body2 image, rear view forward. You see I have small viewing area. Plus in the front I have airshifter bottle, fire system bottles plus a few extra gadgets, no room to mount it where I can see it good. Even If the other stuff wasnt there, then I would have to abandon my semi good tuck on the bike, so see over the triple tree and look down... I dont want me head that high.

Jon

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
600cc Project 200
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2006, 07:45:52 PM »
Quote from: landracing
.... Plus in the front I have airshifter bottle, fire system bottles plus a few extra gadgets, no room to mount it where I can see it good. Even If the other stuff wasnt there, then I would have to abandon my semi good tuck on the bike, so see over the triple tree and look down... I dont want me head that high.

Jon

Great pictures Jon and nice work,  I guess I missed them back when you posted them :cry: .

You guys, especially with a turbo, have a lot you need to fit onto a bike.

Did you drill and tap a hole for the supply line to the turbo or was there already a fitting there?  Could you have used the line where the filter use to be?  Something I guess I'll have to work out on my motor.

Thanks and c ya,

Sum

Offline Bow

600cc Project 200
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2006, 08:15:57 PM »
Gotya Jon!... great concept.

I'm not a bike rider, let alone yet a Landspeed racer, so I'm learning as I go.

Thanks for explaining this to a newbie!

You guys have fabracation skills that amaze me everytime I look at this stuff!
Bow

Cut with an axe, Beat to fit, Paint to match

landracing

600cc Project 200
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2006, 09:35:40 PM »
Quote from: Sumner
Great pictures Jon and nice work,  I guess I missed them back when you posted them :cry: .

You guys, especially with a turbo, have a lot you need to fit onto a bike.

Did you drill and tap a hole for the supply line to the turbo or was there already a fitting there?  Could you have used the line where the filter use to be?  Something I guess I'll have to work out on my motor.

Thanks and c ya,

Sum

Sum,

I did not want to disrupt the oiling system from where the oil cooler was. I tee those two ports together. I did take out a plug into the main oiling galley from the side of the motor in the past, but the fittings stuck out to far and didnt look good. So I am using the port where the oil pressure sender was. It is right next to where I used to pull the oil from. I tapped to 1/8 pipe... I never took a filter line out, I did take out the oil cooler. Which may return with a naca duct in the side of the body feeding air too it. If I have time before Speedweek I will do that but for the time being I consider that part of the to do list scratched off, but it is added to the maybe if I have time list.

Jon

« Last Edit: April 22, 2007, 02:08:31 AM by landracing »

Offline Dean Los Angeles

600cc Project 200
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2006, 09:50:37 PM »
Other things that have been done that is not worthy of pictures.

We tend to think the small things aren't of interest to others.

Ain't true. Take a thousand pics and put them up, and let us pay for the anti-drool medicine. Beginners to the sport learn amazing amounts from the pictures posted here.

ExcellentSpectacularGrandGreatSuperWebSite!!!!!!!!!

PS: Nice Bike!
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline John Noonan

600cc Project 200
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2006, 10:21:33 PM »
Jon,

"Some" fast bikes do not allow for a great view forward and the rider either has to look to the side or "sit up" to see where he is going.

Post some more pictures please...

J

landracing

600cc Project 200
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2006, 10:37:57 PM »
I understand that, I tried that at maxton on a small displacement bike and was not comfortable. For me to pilot the bike safe I need to look forward..

Or if I was smart I would have my head facing the valve cover looking into a little LCD display with a camera out the front of the bike... But im not that smart,, yet...  

Jon

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
600cc Project 200
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2006, 11:38:44 PM »
Quote from: landracing
I never took a filter line out, I did take out the oil cooler. ....Jon

I read oil cooler on the picture and thought oil filter in my mind :roll: .

Glad you pointed that out.  Also I forgot to say before that, using the engine stand was a neat idea.

c ya, Sum

landracing

600cc Project 200
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2006, 02:20:12 AM »
Ok finished up with the turbo exhaust.

Like I stated before the big issue was seperating the wastegate hole and the main exhaust hole. Cast Iron is not friendly to weld, im sure someone has a perfected way to do it, but we had a tig available and it just wasn't going to do the job. So we made a inner pipe, when the flange is mounted that pipe will sit flush and tight against the inner side of turbo wastegate outlet. That was a machined surface. Some ask why did we just weld the internal wategate flapper shut and put the external gate on the header pipe. Good question and the truth is just was not any space available. Remember this is a 600cc bike. The header primary tubes are only 1 3/8 diameter. The wastegate piping is also 1 3/8 diameter. And the radiator sits right up against the tubes as it is.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2007, 02:10:39 AM by landracing »