Author Topic: Steering Quickener at 90 degrees  (Read 10102 times)

Offline TwinSpin

Steering Quickener at 90 degrees
« on: May 07, 2012, 01:59:09 PM »
Does anyone make a steering quickener at 90 degrees rather than straight through?

I actually need a steering box, but most of their ratios are around 18:1. I need around 1.5 or 2:1 ratio.

The smaller the better.

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
Re: Steering Quickener at 90 degrees
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 02:48:39 PM »
You could make something like this with the gear ratios you wanted using a double row chain.  I have seen two stream liners with this type of steering setup.  http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Steer-Clear-Steering-Box-Drop,6254.html  Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 02:54:45 PM »
Have you thought of kart type steering. I know Hitz used it in #72 Lakester and was happy with the result. He has a build diary. I can't remember if it's on here or Sum's site.

Pete

Offline Tman

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 02:57:49 PM »
It is on Sumners site, anyone ever get him off the sailboat?!

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 03:11:45 PM »
Thanks Trent. I think he was home for a short while and then headed back to Florida. Not a bad lifestyle but I'd really like to see how his lakester turns out.

Pete

Offline TwinSpin

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 06:43:55 PM »
Peter Jack - -

Yes, I did think about kart type steering, but I am limited on space and I think, I know a small steering box with a low ratio as in 2;1 would work fine.

I looked at the lakster on Sum's site and it is a quality build, I don't have the space it needs and the layout is different. But good suggestion any way. I did happen to build 4 go-karts in my teen, way back when. I see Sumner went from "salt to salt," he just added a little water. :-D

My thinking now, if I can't find something small and low ratio, I might have to look in industry for a generic, bevel gear box assembly with say 5/8 inch shafts and a small casting in alum or iron. Or, (hope not) I just might have to make one myself with no milling machine. Could be fun.

I get frustrated in my old age when I know what I want and you can't find it anywhere, even for double the expected price.

Maguromic -- the chain device you found isn't what I need. I should have described it more clearly. The chain makes an off-set in the shaft direction. I need a right angle turn in the shaft direction. I did see that chain device on Speedway Parts site when I did my original search. But thanks anyway for the suggestion.

This is the first time I'm building a bike from scratch. And you have to know I'm keeping off the path well traveled. However, these puckerbushes out here are not making this journey one without frustration. But that salt is in my blood. So, I keep going.

Bill

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 07:10:58 PM »
Bill
google ....stockdrivecomponents.com

They make about  everything in gear boxes and other drive and shaft stuff.I have the full set of catalogs (7) and they are full of engineering data and drawings etc. We used a lot of their products in our engineering labs at Douglas and Boeing. Tell them you are starting a small shop and request the full set.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 10:07:20 PM »
   Something like this? The price is right.

https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=13-1422&catname=powerTrans

Doug :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 10:33:37 AM »
Gearboxes tend to come in very small and very large. Finding a gearbox that weighs as much as the engine is easy.
I think finding a 1:1 90 degree gearbox and then using a chain to get the correct ratio might be the best path.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2012, 12:40:02 PM »
   Something like this? The price is right.

https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=13-1422&catname=powerTrans

Doug :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Am I reading that correctly?  Input HP 6 Hp estimated?

If so, it puts new meaning to "powersteering by Armstrong."   :cheers:

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2012, 01:25:51 PM »
Bill, google steering reducers.  There are several mfgs. listed, Colman looks good and quality work. Fair prices as well.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline John Burk

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2012, 03:26:44 PM »
A bellcrank as a 90 deg speed reducer .