Author Topic: Two Vincents visit Germany  (Read 93245 times)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Two Vincents visit Germany
« Reply #90 on: May 25, 2012, 12:13:18 AM »
16 May from Hartmut

On Monday I started on the heads and got #1 ready and started on #2. Late Monday afternoon I had visitors arrive here so we planed a little sightseeing tour for Tuesday. Then the telephone rang and my mother said she had been at the doctor and he sent her home with the diagnosis that she probably had a stroke - she is tough with her 90 years so she took her bicycle and rode home to phone me! Needless to say I went there in a minute and drove her to the hospital to have her treated as needed. So the sightseeing tour started a bit later. Today my visitors left and I was able to install head 1 and 2. In one pic you see the crap that came out of #2 - all molten aluminium, combustion chamber looks good with only minimal scratches from the piston debris - I took some sandpaper to it to make it all smooth. Luckily the valves were not damaged so I lapped them all in and installed everything in the heads. Valve guides have much more play than a road going Vincent but I left it like that as there is so much heat in the heads to avoid a sticking valve.
Mike has finished the big plate for the gearbox. I installed the front oil pump and installed another shim behind the worm gear to compensate the new offset of the crank. All spins nice and easy. So tomorrow I will fill the front crankcase with cams etc and dial that engine in as it is a holiday in Germany with all shops closed so probably none of my customers will show up as it is cold and wet as well. Will visit Mum tomorrow to see what the doctors say but nothing else planned for the day so will probably get a lot work done on the engines. Viton seals for cranks arrived today as well. For Friday I have an appointment with my doctor for the test form, have paid the licence already. Test form will be sent to the head office and by end of next week I should have my licence. Petra leaves for a week to work in the dog rescue home so I am on my own next week and should be able to finish the big lump as nobody waits for me in the evening (only the dogs;-))
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #91 on: May 25, 2012, 12:21:25 AM »
19 May from Hartmut

Been installing the cams - first tried 60degr btdc with 10 thou pre - lift - doesn't work as I have much more lift of exhaust on TDC as inlet. Exhaust 5,2mm, inlet 3mm. Now I have advanced the cams to 5,5mm inlet and 5mm exhaust. This should work pretty good as equal lift is now at 6 degr BTDC. Without pre-lift the inlet starts to open at 70 degr.

Tomorrow I do the rear heads and cams.
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #92 on: May 25, 2012, 12:29:26 AM »
20 May from Hartmut

I finished the heads, had to replace the exhaust valve on #3 as it was bent slightly. Did not find any cause for this when I took the engines apart so I don't know what caused this. Replaced exhaust valve #4 as well as it had deep marks on the shaft below the lower valve guide- salt is a killer! Anyway - all valves were lapped in and everything reinstalled. Oil pump worm was shimmed according to the new position of crank and pump plunger installed. All turns without harsh points. After checking the difference between head #3 and #4 I pulled the rear pot again and replaced the lower gasket with a thicker to get same compression on both pots. When playing with the idler boss for no backlash I found a stripped thread on one of the bolts - so took it all apart and replaced two bolts as the other one was a screw. Got backlash to zero and after trying several half time pinions from Somer I found the one that just slides in without any play. Good so far - tomorrow I will make a new sleeve for the 1/2 pinion that drives the ignition - this one here has far too much play and makes ignition timing a hit and miss affair. So probably tomorrow evening I should have the rear engine timed as well and can install the ignition and fuel pump - didn't you say you get another pump? That might mean I will not install the pump at all?

Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #93 on: June 02, 2012, 10:40:30 AM »
Well I guess it is time for me to catch up again, been a little busy working on the Bockscar, getting a 1 liter for SpeedWeek.  But enough about that, here is a link to a bunch of fotos Hartmut's friend Eric took, a few cool bikes in there also
https://www.dropbox.com/gallery/79313418/1/Germany%202012?h=668097

23 May from Hartmut
Here are some gearbox parts. I have had hectic days, even missed my midweek training due to visiting mother in hospital, making meals for dad, walking the dogs and keep the house in order and cash flowing with customer work. Anyway, today I picked mother up and brought her back home so I have a couple hours per day more to spend on the engines. Mike has finished the small parts of the gearbox and starts on the pinion stuff. I was not exactly happy with the backlash on ignition drive in # 2 so I made a new bronze sleeve with just enough play to rotate on the shaft and selected the biggest pinion I could find in Somers stuff - got one that just slides in with no play at all.
Have ordered all parts for the gearbox:
4 springs
2 air cylinders
8 bearings in various sizes
Have to see Bernhard and pick up the selector forks and sleeve gears.

All should arrive next week. Tomorrow I time the rear engine. Have checked the front engine at overlap for clearance - no problem as I can push all valves about 2mm further without hitting the pistons. On full lift I can turn the adjuster screw in at least1,5 more turns before the valve collar sits on the lower guide or the spring cap on the upper guide. There is enough play between the coils of springs as well. So the front end is done now.

I could make up aluminium tubes to go over the pushrod hoses. I have a thin wall tube here that would have a bit clearance on the hose. As it is tight near the barrel it would stand proud of the hose on the outside and thus leave an air gap between hose and tube. Will show you a pic tomorrow. Have to pull the heads again to fit those though.
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #94 on: June 02, 2012, 10:57:20 AM »
Lest you think Hartmut is the only one working to make the project go, here is some work that Max is doing.  I'll drop over and take a few pictures of progress in the next few days.  One of us spent Memorial Day weekend in Denver building a new lakester front axle.

Here's a picture of the dash with the two additional switches.  First gear and data switches.  Had a real productive day today.  A total of four people working on the bike and the wife bringing sustenance.  My daughter Kim captured one of her co-workers and spent the better part of yesterday and all day today building the new bracketry for holding the top section and lower section of the rear body.  Looks real good and quite professional.  Hired my helper Elio for the day.  He and I finished the mounting of the push bar, straightened the right hand mounting band of the body, did some clean up on the adjusters for the rear wheel axle, painted adjusters, greased, and made them ready for another week on the salt. 

The water switch, master switch, and fire bottle pull cables, (the ones that have to be externally accessible) have all been moved back to the very end of the tail section.  The push tube that shows provided location points for these items.  The reason for these changes is to eliminate a six inch hole in back of the injector intake on the outer skin.  The liner will have an air scoop built into the skin, facing forward, not unlike a Formula 1 car, only flatter.
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #95 on: June 02, 2012, 11:02:29 AM »
28 May for Hartmut
You couldn't reach me as I was out of the shop for most of the days to take care for my parents and get the house in order for Petras return and bring the gearbox parts for stress relieving to the hardening shop. I got my German race licence and am now waiting for the FIM permit - had to pay an extra fee for that but expect it to be here soon. I sent you copies of all that I sent to the DMSB. In between I managed to time the rear engine. So that is all done, max overlap is at 4 degree BTDC - I couldn't get it any better - well maybe if I used a stepped key.... Petra is home now, parents are taken care of by my sister and I could return to the shop now. I will put AL tubing over the pushrod hoses and fit ignition and fuel pump drive and close the timing chests tonight.

Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #96 on: June 02, 2012, 11:43:28 AM »
I reported earlier that Marty Dickerson had a heart attack, probably in health and welfare, but Marty reports that is was just a spot of breathing problems, although the Doc told him he was a fine candidate for an attack.  Marty plans to be found at the Bub under the shade of the Black Lightning's tent... business as usual.  I think he retired from racing, last year was the first year he did not take a pass, the previous year I think he set his last record on a Vincent.

30 May, from Hartmut
see attached pics - the rubber hoses are covered with aluminum tubing, held in place by the hose clips and having an air gap of at least 1/8 ". Its anodized tube so should look good for a while.
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #97 on: June 02, 2012, 11:50:58 AM »
30 May continued
The ignition is fitted - I set the magneto over the center of the pick-up at 45 degree BTDC. I don't know when the signal comes, i.e. when the magneto reaches or leaves pick-up but with the long slot that we have we should be able to dial the motor in without disturbing the timing cover internals.Fitted the fuel pump as well, all screws secured with lock wire. Need to work now on the head steadys (top motor mounts) and weld a couple cracks and fit those. Will put the timing covers on tonight and finish the outer primary cover. Will mark the degree-wheel on the motors with a definite mark for TDC on the front motor/rear cylinder. So whenever we put a strobe light on the degree disc we will see where the front motor is.
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #98 on: June 02, 2012, 11:57:40 AM »
June 1 from Hartmut
This evening I welded the cracked head steadies.
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #99 on: June 02, 2012, 12:03:50 PM »
June 1, more
all parts for the gearbox are finished on the lathe and I will get them to the tooth cutter next week. Bernhard will do the splines on the shafts and the internal/external splined ring on the mainshaft.  My other buddy with a grinding shop is already waiting for the shafts and pinions to grind them to size but first we need a couple teeth on all of it and let the hardening shop have the parts for a day or two. 6 needle bearings are on backorder but should arrive sometime next week.
Stainless

Offline USFRAMONTE

« Reply #100 on: June 02, 2012, 01:15:00 PM »
I have been following this build diary and am very impressed with the craftmanship going into this.  As a person that knows very little about motorcycles, and even less about Vincents, I am curious how the valve train works.  I can see the push rod and end of the rocker but also see the valve stem and spring at the very
top of the head.  How does that system work?

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #101 on: June 02, 2012, 01:23:25 PM »
Monte, the gears drive the cams, cams are mounted high in the motor so the pushrods are fairly short, the rocker arms are actually in the middle of the valves.  If you search Mad Max or Thunderdome from the forum home page you will see 3 other build discussions that cover the motor particulars.
Lots of pictures and explanation. 
The scooter may end up at your event again depending on finances and life after the Bub FIM attempt.
See ya on the Salt  8-)
Stainless

Offline USFRAMONTE

« Reply #102 on: June 02, 2012, 01:30:41 PM »
Robert, from the looks of things I expect the bike will go very fast. I will check out the other information
you suggested.  Would love to see ya'll at WOS. Here is wishing you good luck this year.
Monte.

Offline Kansas Bad Man

• Max Lambky's Vincent powered motorcycle streamliner
« Reply #103 on: June 02, 2012, 07:36:39 PM »

Howdy All.  Mad Max the Kansas Bad Man here.

A lot of the postings on this thread are probably a bit awkward to read.  I have a racers internet list that I post to with all the updates of the build.  Stainless is on my list and he pulls off correspondence between Hartmut Weidelich and myself.  Stainless manages to get Hartmut's words on this thread, but hasn't been posting my words, as a rule.  I was surprised that he did post my words on Marty Dickerson.  Stainless will be over tomorrow I believe, to take some pictures of some of my build on the chassis end of it that's going on in my garage.  I'll be asking Stainless to include my words to Hartmut as well as Hartmut's words.  If you think this thread is interesting only hearing one side of the conversation, you'd probably like to hear both sides, as there is a lot of technical back and forth and 'what if's' going on between the two of us.

Hartmut and I are going through all of the hoops together to get the liner qualified for the Bub Meet for both FIM and AMA record attempts.  I've got all the stuff that Hartmut's sent me.  Most of it is in German.  But a couple of the main forms are in English.  Anyway he says he'll have his FIM license the first part of next week.  I've already paid the $600+ entry fee, and Hartmut has already paid $500 on his physical and so on.  This racing thing ain't cheap, is it?

I finished up all the push bar stuff today, so tomorrow Stainless will have something to photograph.  My daughter came over today however, and took some pictures.  I'll be posting them to my list.  Maybe Stainless will pick them up and post them here.  I don't have the ability to post pictures with my WebTV player.  Actually Stainless has been pretty good about posting, but here late he's got a couple of cars over in his garage that's taking up his time.

Max

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #104 on: June 02, 2012, 07:53:20 PM »
Max we will wait for the photos. The builds are just awesome and we all enjoy the great fab and engineering.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah