Author Topic: saltbeEFE-full fat aircooled-  (Read 46914 times)

Offline beerbellykelly

• #1980-A/F 1350-AIRCOOLED-TOO COOL FOR SKOOL
saltbeEFE-full fat aircooled-
« on: January 10, 2012, 04:20:11 AM »
with four months until we need to crate and ship the across the pond-with parts still appearing from all points of the compass-the one off parts piling up fast-and way too many other builds taking up time , dave [buzz lightbeer ] and myself thought it high time we added a few pictures of how things are shaping up-
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 04:44:08 AM by beerbellykelly »
GOD BLESS THE HUMMIN' CUMMINS
www.jamesandfriend.com

Offline beerbellykelly

Re: saltbeEFE-full fat aircooled-
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 04:43:23 AM »
the bike has been in my ownership for about twenty years-and has variously been powered with 750/1000/1100/1170/1260 motors , all aircooled suzuki , it has been street raced , drag raced , bracket raced , impounded and fallen off of , all over europe , so when dave suggested we build a proper old skool  aircooled multi - i had a lot of parts to throw in the mix-
dave has called on his many years of drag racing and metal fabricating to bring some great sponsors to help the bike - [mostly from the usa]
this has helped us a great deal in getting parts at sensible money , as to build something like this from locally sourced parts would be prohibitive.i am lucky to have the keys to AIRCOOLED WONDERLAND-which makes stuff like cases , cranks, heads etc-plentifuel.
the bottom end of the motor is gsx1100 EFE[1135cc]-the toughest out there , to this we added a *DAVE BRANCH* -england- pro mod/funny bike crank , an *R & D* -florida-  transmission , and a WISECO 1327 big block -we used a GSX1100ET[1074cc] cylinder head [the earlier heads have deeper port floors and dont require resin building] this head was fully skulled by MRE-

i will let dave write up the full spec of the motor-
the first two pictures are with our mock up motor,and setting ride height,rider posistion etc.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 05:14:14 AM by beerbellykelly »
www.jamesandfriend.com

Offline beerbellykelly

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 04:54:29 AM »
while dave was left in sunny england to work out the science , and blue glue the frame together how we wanted..
www.jamesandfriend.com

Offline beerbellykelly

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 04:56:58 AM »
i had to race this potent triton in rain soaked france-dave was left alone with some choice goodies to keep the bike happy-
www.jamesandfriend.com

Offline beerbellykelly

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 05:06:12 AM »
we have both tried to use the best parts we can lay our hands on to get this 29 year old , blunt instrument down the ghreat white dyno

in the fashion were used to-

i have to say the R & D MOTORSPORTS transmission , is really a work of master craftsmen , it deserves only the best 10w40-

i,ll let dave describe the cylinder head..im bound to get carried away. :-P
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 05:09:29 AM by beerbellykelly »
www.jamesandfriend.com

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 04:06:41 PM »
Oi thats my bottle LOL CCMF!!
Newcastle born and bred a City built on Coal and Steel and a people built of stronger stuff

Offline Buzz Lightbeer

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 04:51:20 PM »
As BBK has started the build diary, here is the spec of the motor.

1327cc forged MTC pistons now machined to 12:7 to 1 static compression, Wiseco bigblock with LA Sleeves O'ringed , GS11OO ported bronze skulled head, with 31/26 Ferrea stainless valves, Kibblewhite valve springs with GSXR1100 rockers & Megacycle cams all the head & piston work has been done by Jeff Reel of Reel Race Services it flows 140+cfm. The head was supplied by Jay Reagan owner of MRE, who also supplied & prepared the bigblock for us.
GSX1150 crank & clutch with straight cut primary gears, both prepared by my friend Dave Branch of DB Engineering. Dave also made the belt drive alternator bracket for the bike to.
Kevin at Lectron Fuel Systems personally built a set of 44mm powerjet carbs for us, once he knew the spec of the engine.
Mark at R&D Transmissions fully prepared the gearbox & shift drum using ceramic bearings supplied by Big Dave at Worldwide Bearings.
Dawson Motorsports have supplied us with a top end oiling system, single stage lockup clutch, dyna ignition, pnc300 nitrous controller & all the nitrous components as well as many other parts.
We have converted the the chain & sprockets to 530 pitch instead of the extremely heavy original 630 pitch
A lot of the engine components have been DCT'd this includes the crank assembly, camchain, final drive chain & split links these are actually being shipped back to me on Friday.

Offline Buzz Lightbeer

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 08:29:01 AM »
the beginning of the project

Offline Buzz Lightbeer

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2012, 05:17:21 PM »
As you can see in the previous pic we had a shock absorber offered up, but in the end we have gone with a rigid set up.
Here are some more pics

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2012, 12:17:09 AM »
Are you sure?  Good suspension is the key to eternal hoppiness.

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2012, 01:28:48 AM »
i had to race this potent triton in rain soaked france-dave was left alone with some choice goodies to keep the bike happy-

Life is tough isn't it?
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline Buzz Lightbeer

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2012, 02:34:08 AM »
Wobbly, the reason for going rigid is that to put all the bracing & mounts in for the shock linkages.  It would mean a hell of a lot of work removing some tubes & replacing with thicker wall tubes. Plus the shock absorber would have taken up vital space needed for the nitrous system & bottle, these old frames are very restrictive to try & fit everything in, unlike my dragbike with its bespoke frame   

Offline Buzz Lightbeer

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2012, 08:21:27 AM »
heres a pic of the frame stiffener

Offline Buzz Lightbeer

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2012, 08:23:40 AM »
another of the stiffener with the old weld ground out

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2012, 09:07:49 AM »
Buzz,
The struts you are using to replace the suspension look a little on the weak side.  If your bike weighs 600 lbs fully loaded, then there will be approximately 300 lbs at the rear wheel.  Your struts are somewhere near the middle of the swingarm, therefore the load will double to 600 lbs.  Because the struts are not vertical, the load will again be increased.  The struts are considered long columns.  Long columns fail by buckling, usually without notice once they start to deflect.  I can't tell you what size you need, but am just cautioning you to consider these struts more carefully.  Any structural engineer could do a quick analysis and tell you if they are strong enough.
Tom
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!