Author Topic: Flowmeter Set Up For Back Purge  (Read 5791 times)

Offline Peter Jack

Flowmeter Set Up For Back Purge
« on: January 02, 2012, 12:23:32 PM »
A long time ago I said I'd post pictures of the set up that I use when I'm back purging a weld joint. The pictured regulator allows individual control of the gas flow to the torch and to the purge. This results in a much higher quality weld, especially in stainless. When you're welding anything where the back purge isn't required just turn the purge flow off.

One thing to note is that it's obvious that I used Teflon tape to assemble things. I normally wouldn't do that but in this case that's what was available at the time. If you do use tape to assemble a pipe thread joint don't cover the first thread with the tape. That way there is a much smaller chance that a small piece of the tape will get into the assembly and cause issues.

One other note. Teflon tape is only used to seal tapered pipe thread. It doesn't work on straight thread, normally gasketed joints, compression fittings, etc. Used in any other application than the intended use it only makes things worse and harder to clean up. Nuff said!

Pete
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 12:30:27 PM by Peter Jack »

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
Re: Flowmeter Set Up For Back Purge
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 12:12:38 PM »
Sterling idea Peter, Thanks. I usualy disconnect the gas line from the mig and use that regulator. Your set-up is MUCH nicer. J.B. :cheers:
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.