Author Topic: Target 2012? Bonneville Salt Flats Harley KHK...  (Read 18532 times)

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
Re: Target 2012? Bonneville Salt Flats Harley KHK...
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2011, 04:03:48 PM »
When I put my starter together I was expecting a torque reaction hence the wide handles.  I went one further and added two long "pegs that fit into a plate welded to the frame.  They hold the starter and prevent any torque reaction.  Works amazingly well.  So well that when I decided to take the Norton to World Finals I made a similar set up for the Norton.  But I was unable to fab up a plate to hold the starter.  It was hand held only.  But to my amazement nothing happened.  Joe (my crew chief) started the Norton without a hitch.  The only advantage of the plate is you can set the starter and not have to rush when given the signal to fire it up.

Again photos explain far better than me.

Patrick.  When I crank the engine, as soon as it fires I remove the starter.  Never had a problem in three years.  I have a tendency to overthink things.  Sometimes overthinking is not necessary.

By weslake at 2009-04-08

Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline thefrenchowl

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2011, 04:16:47 PM »
OK, Nortonist, I believe you and will just fab an hexagon welded on the pulley, then bored bigger and have Brian fab me a new spacer with 2 or 3 woodruff keys...

Still have to find a starter... Do they all run CCW viewed from the electric motor end ??? 

Patrick
Flat Head Forever

...What exactly are we trying to do here?...

Offline bak189

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2011, 04:50:52 PM »
We have been using a remote crankshaft starter for years to start our Turbo/Busa LSR sidecar outfit.....the starter is one sold by Pringel Enterprise and uses 24 volts....it has two handles....no problem holding it......The possible problem with have a torque arm locked some place on the chassis/engine is that one may have a problem pulling it off the starter nut on the crank. when the engine fires up........................
We spin the engine up and when spinning turn on the ign. to prevent backfire thru the turbo.....works great..........................................
Question authority.....always

Offline Nortonist 592

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2011, 08:28:19 PM »
Honest Patrick it works!  I sometimes crank it before turning on the ignition.  Heres a short video showing the starter in action.  The first sidecar out is one of my heroes.  Willie Buchta.  Which is why I kept this video.  I'm at the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwoRBeNkrTk

Offline saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2011, 09:38:55 PM »

My setup has the handle / torque arm resting against a lug on the frame. This way, no movement of the bike when starting.  Always be prepared for a kick-back or backfire.

mine is like that also. I believe it is the best way.
it is a pita without a torque stop.

it wasn't me, but-- a friend went to start the engine before the
stop bar was installed--
I told him to be careful it's gonna bite; " yeah , I got it " , he says .
he was the 1 that got spun .
since then, no 1 starts the engine but me.

I have compression releases on the engine.
24 volts through a big frame chrysler starter that has the nose cut off
and a 1 and 1/8 " impact socket welded on.

I never hang the starter on the engine.

franey

if its got a good tune, it should not kick back.
diane flips the ignition toggle switch when it has a good spin going.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 09:44:48 PM by saltwheels262 »
bub '07 - 140.293 a/pg   120" crate street mill  
bub '10 - 158.100  sweetooth gear
lta  7/11 -163.389  7/17/11; 3 run avg.-162.450
ohio -    - 185.076 w/#684      
lta 8/14  - 169.xxx. w/sw2           
'16 -- 0 runs ; 0 events

" it's not as easy as it looks. "
                            - franey  8/2007

Offline Nortonist 592

« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2011, 10:12:46 PM »
My torque stop is to two rods through the plate on the frame.  I don't hnag the starter on the engine but the two rods allow me to be set up and ready when its time to fire.

By weslake at 2009-04-11

Offline thefrenchowl

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2011, 05:27:25 PM »
Hi,

1st bit done, found a 1"1/2 nut, bit of boring, bit of turning, bit of tig welding...

Patrick
Flat Head Forever

Offline thefrenchowl

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2011, 01:37:27 PM »
Hi All,

Been too busy at work, plenty of overtime and not much play in the garage!!!

The boss also owns a small toolhire shop... The other day, they were scrapping some old tools... One of these was a hand held paint/plaster/cement mixer with a burnt out motor... Me looks at the handle and think I can do something with that!!! There's even a switch on it!!!

So, sawn off the useless bit and a quick mock up with an Evo Sporty starter I have on the shelves, you get the idea...

Will have to scrounge some alloy plate at Brian's later... Will probably hook up the handles from the rear end of the lecky motor...

Found some SU bits on eBay GB, will fit this ahead of the carb when I get a minute to meself.

Anyway, hope your projects are progressing nicely in this garage season...

All the best from Patrick
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 01:44:05 PM by thefrenchowl »
Flat Head Forever

Offline thefrenchowl

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2012, 07:12:37 AM »
Hi Everybody,

Just enough time left to wish you all a Happy New Year and that it'll bring you all that you wish and work hard for...

Still quite busy at work, same old problems... Had a few holidays left from last year, used them to work a bit at Brian's and put my hours count down, rewired a miller for him...

So not much progress to report!!

Had the time to sort out the SU float chamber, found that a Ceriani rubber boot clamp had the same diameter, just need to braze a fixing plate to it and then fix it on the side of the S&S chamber... All piped up.

Had to relocate the brake fluid container lower on the frame to clear the space, not too much aggro really...

I see the board is real busy with updates these days, keep at it!!!

All the best from Patrick
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 07:14:18 AM by thefrenchowl »
Flat Head Forever

Offline ol38y

• When all else fails, gas it!
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2012, 11:02:07 AM »
Very nice work Patrick. You may be using the clear plastic fuel lines for mock up but, they will not pass tech for SCTA. I'd hate for you to have to run home to find some correct fuel line... :cheers:
Larry Cason
Bakersfield,CA    It's a dry heat!

2010 BUB 1350 M-PG record
2012 Speedweek  1350 A-PG record 169.975
2014 El Mirage Dry Lake  1350 A-PG  172.651

Offline thefrenchowl

« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2012, 05:56:13 PM »
Hi to all,

Certainly won't be with you on the sal flats this year...  :-(

My friend Nick from Scotland stopped here on Friday (he donated the air cleaner for the KHK...) on his way to the HDRCGB Vintage and Sportster rally. We loaded the KHK in his van, plus the rollers and some methanol, then went down there, bitter rain following us all the way there... Got my tent and sleeping bag flooded, spent a lonely damp and cold night in the front seat of the van... Seen better days!!! Never mind, the atmosphere was superb, good company, old friends and lovely bikes a plenty...

And Kev, the organiser of the V & S, never fails to remind me I should never be allowed near a bike without a red cylinder... :-D

After a few caughts to blow out the cobwebs and deal with the wet grass/lowly traction, the KHK finally roared into life Saturday afternoon, the few mods seem to work OK (video by Andy Hornsby editor of the GB magazine American V):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAXJc2WqjII&feature=youtu.be

Still have to finish out the lecky starter, there's always tomorrow!!!

Again, thank you all here for past help and memories, I'm off again to earn a living, and hopefully save enough for a future Salt Flats trip in your unbelievable country...

All the very best from Patrick and have a good time whatever you're doing this year...
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 06:14:06 PM by thefrenchowl »
Flat Head Forever

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2012, 11:34:36 PM »
A true biker.  Sleeps in the front seat of the van rather than setting the bike out in the rain.