Author Topic: Artistic Photo Thread - Pictures from the Salt  (Read 86118 times)

Offline fabio montani

• New folks
Re: Artistic Photo Thread - Pictures from the Salt
« Reply #105 on: September 21, 2011, 07:04:57 PM »

Fabio Montani, vehicle 663 and Team "Gus Gus," all the way from Italy for Speed Week 2011. Their streamliner was shipped in a sea-can plonked about half way up money row. They seemed to be pretty jubilant later in the week when I believe I heard that they broke 300 mph. According to the SCTA website this might be the reason: 17th August; 663; Fabio Montani; E FS; Old record: 287.826 mph New record 300.357 mph Congratulations!

Shot 13th August 2011 early in the morning in the line up for the rookie / orientation course #4 of Speed Week 2011 by Jim Kelsall with a Canon PowerShot G10.

Thank you for posting a nice picture of GUs Gus . I add an early morning shot
Ciao !

Offline fabio montani

• New folks
« Reply #106 on: September 21, 2011, 07:25:50 PM »
a shot from impund early morning

Offline SabreTooth

Monday Blues - Pictures from the Salt
« Reply #107 on: September 26, 2011, 02:08:26 AM »

FlatCad Racing, car 9785 in the line up at Speed Week 2011. Shot 16th August 2011 at the Bonneville Salt Flats by Jim Kelsall on a Canon PowerShot G10.

Offline SabreTooth

« Reply #108 on: October 18, 2011, 11:52:57 AM »
Back in the country and back in the saddle...

Everybody has dreams...The young and the young at heart. Bike 193, 650CC APS-PG, Mr. George Nachtsheim in the staging line up for the short course, #3, Speed Week 2011. Power and speed, I tip my hat to you sir. Shot 16th August 2011 by Jim Kelsall on a Canon PowerShot G10.

Keep 'em coming.

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #109 on: October 18, 2011, 10:21:11 PM »
Engine looks like an AJS/Matchless 650 twin from early 60-s ... anybody know?

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #110 on: October 18, 2011, 10:31:17 PM »
That is a pre-unit Triumph twin circa 1961.  Normally we see them with the cylinders vertical.  He laid his down at an angle.

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #111 on: October 19, 2011, 01:31:49 AM »
That is a pre-unit Triumph twin circa 1961.  Normally we see them with the cylinders vertical.  He laid his down at an angle.

........close Bo,

this is from some magazine.....don't ask me how I know  :wink:
 The motor started as a 59 TR6 before George fitted it with a later Bonneville crank, 9 bolt barrels and Bonneville head .He then slipped in some Robbins 12.5:1 pistons, Kibblewhite Titanium valves and aluminum bronze bushings throughout. To help at the outer limits of the rev range he fitted lightweight pushrods and then had the cams reground. The carbs are Amal T10’s and they are on a diet of 110/112 octane.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 01:38:25 AM by Dr Goggles »
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Bville Racer

• New folks
« Reply #112 on: October 26, 2011, 05:00:50 PM »
Hi Guys,

Dr. Goggles got it right! But there are a few more facts that he didn't know. The frame and front end  are of my own design, all machined, welded and assembled in my home garage/shop. I first came up with this design back in the early '60s and built a similar bike back then only with an all aluminum frame and an all alloy 500cc TR5 engine. My intent was to go to Bonneville with it and try to beat the 500cc record which was held at that time by Danny Macias out of Bellflower Triumph, Bellflower, CA. May he rest in peace! I never made it to Bonneville with it but did run it at El Mirage dry lake in the early '70s and at Lions Drag Strip in Long Beach, CA, as well as Orange County Raceway, Orange County, CA. My drag racing experience goes back to the old Santa Ana Drag Strip in the late '50s, before there were starting lights and christmas trees. But back to the bike! Three years ago, 2008 I picked up a copy of Hot Rod magazine and there was an article on Speed Week at Bonneville. I thought "I've always wanted to do that and at 68 years, if I'm ever going to do it I'd better get my ass in gear". So I dug out photos of the old bike and started scaling them to get dimensions long forgotten, got on Craigs List looking for parts, engine , trans etc. Ordered tubing, made a frame jig out of a sheet of plywood, 2x2s, 2x4s, screws, cables, clamps etc. and went to work. 2 years later I was at Bonneville! Got the bike through tech with flying colors and made my first runs down the "salt". What a rush! Didn't set any records that first year, had a couple of minor glitches that kept me from running full out (a bit of a speed wobble around 90 mph). Came home and installed an Ohlins steering damper as well as a few other minor mods. Went back out this year and the damper did it's job exellently, no more wobble, runs straight as an arrow! Thank you Ohlins. I managed to get the bike to run a fairly consistant 109 mph this year, only 7 mph off of the record, but had an issue with the Amal GP carbs sucking the matchbox floatbowl dry. The inch and 5/32 T10 - GP2's and matchbox float bowl are a matched set off of a 1965 BSA 650cc Spitfire so I never gave it a thought that I could run out of gas! But then a 1965 BSA Spitfire never turned 10'000 RPM as my engine is designed to do, I shift at 9'000. So again when I got home from the salt I installed a second matchbox float bowl, one for each carb, plus they're tied together. Went back out for the World Finals on the 4th of October, just got the bike through tech when the skies opened up and the event was cancelled. I guess I'll just have to wait untill next August to see what it will do. I know that on paper it is capable of far more than the current record. I'll keep you posted on how I do, better yet come out and watch, I went to Bonneville for the first time 3 years ago and came back with one regret -------- that I hadn't done it 40 years earlier!!!! :-)

I'm 71 years old now so I'd better get it done soon.

George
Old Age & Treachery, LSR
Life begins at 40, but gets real interesting at 120 MPH.

Offline Freud

« Reply #113 on: October 26, 2011, 05:05:39 PM »
George, look at the float bowls and not the calendar.

If they don't card you at the tav you is old enough.

If you get to B'ville, you aren't too old.

Go for it, Pal.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Bville Racer

• New folks
« Reply #114 on: October 26, 2011, 05:23:07 PM »
I'm going, I'm going!

Believe it or not I did get carded recently, ----------------- trying to buy B-Bs at a sporting goods store!!!!

George

Offline Bville Racer

• New folks
« Reply #115 on: October 26, 2011, 05:25:04 PM »
If anyone can walk me through how to post photos on here, I've got some from the salt that you might enjoy.

George

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #116 on: October 26, 2011, 06:22:55 PM »
George ... get some photos posted ... I love this bike ....

Joe

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #117 on: October 26, 2011, 07:55:56 PM »
Hey great that you've registered here George. Notice he's got a way with the words too folks.....great story there already.

1./ Go to www.photobucket.com
2./ open an account
3./ the instructions on how to upload shots is easy( they do of course need to be digital files)
4./ once you have uploaded a shot there are a choice of links, one is "IMG code" , click on that it will indicate with a little yellow "copied"
5./ cut and paste the link into your landracing.com post and you're away.
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline salt

• EMD2CLM - B2CLM
« Reply #118 on: October 26, 2011, 10:28:32 PM »
George, How about coming out to El Mirage for the 2-day meet in November? You might be able to run as a guest if you're not a member of one of the Clubs.
Willi
Who Has More Fun?

Offline SabreTooth

« Reply #119 on: October 26, 2011, 10:43:29 PM »
If anyone can walk me through how to post photos on here, I've got some from the salt that you might enjoy.

George

George, I'm glad I was able to assist in making the connection with my photo of you and your bike. You have the posting down, the next step is the photos, wherever you chose to post them in the forum is the same. In direct response to your request, I hope the following is of assistance.

You don't have to have an online photo account but it makes for easier access and higher res picture postings than are allowed by just uploading. There are a myriad of photo hosting accounts, I use Google's Picasa for example, Dr. Goggles and others prefer Photobucket. There are other hosts too, mostly all "free"

Uploading directly to Landracing.com:
  • Resize a copy of your photo to be under 500 KB in size (alas, this is going to be pretty specific to your computer and available software but Picasa can help here, as one example of an appplication. Fortunately, the direct link method described below has no such limitations but the photos are only as permanent as the link to them. If you edit your albums or move stuff around, the link gets broken and the picture is lost, at least to this forum). There appear to be online tools that can be used too such as http://www.shrinkpictures.com/ which I have not used
  • When your forum post is open for editing, at the bottom left there is a "+ Additional Options..."
  • Click this and more boxes appear
  • Next to "Attach:" click the "Browse..." button
  • Direct the dialog box that appears to the location of your selected photo on your computer
  • Click the open button "Open" (in the same pop-up window, which then disappears)
  • Hit "Post" and you're done.

Direct linking from a photo storage website:
  • Go to the selected large size photo
  • Right mouse click to access the context sensitive menu
  • Select "Copy image location" (for the Firefox browser), Internet Explorer requires you to copy the hyperlink to the picture from the browser hyperlink bar at the top of the browser or if you are lucky it lets you "Copy shortcut" when hovering over a photo
  • Come back to the open "post reply box" here on Landracing.com and at your selected location within the post and text...
  • Look at the buttons above the simleys, and click the second from left which says "Insert Image" when the mouse pointer hovers over the button
  • Text "[i m g]"will appear followed by "[/ i m g]"
  • Place the cursor after the first "[I m g]"
  • Right click to access the context sensitive menu and paste in the hyperlink to the photo so that it falls between the markup language directors e.g. "[i m g]" HYPERLINK "[/ i m g]"
  • Press "Post or Preview" and you are done. There are other niceties such as leaving a space between the photos (hit carriage return a few times) and telling folks more about the photo.

Personally, I prefer to combine both an image upload, in case Picasa or I reorganise the web album and I lose the link, and a direct link to get the better picture viewable on the forum thread. See some of my prior posts for examples of what I mean.

I hope this helps. Here is a link to other posts about posting photos on this forum...Huh, go figure, a simple "posting photos" and variants search doesn't bring up anything of much use quickly. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place or my synapses aren't firing correctly tonight. Well, the above and Dr. Goggles post should help you get started.

We look forward to your photos. They definitely count as inspirational and as such, the intent of this particular forum thread.

Cheers & thanks.

Jim
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 11:08:46 PM by SabreTooth »