Author Topic: On the Scene at SpeedWeek 2011  (Read 209278 times)

Offline UltraCarbonFiber

• www.RacingComposites.net
Re: On the Scene at SpeedWeek 2011
« Reply #195 on: August 16, 2011, 05:28:07 PM »
I just posted a video of Blowfish being pushed off the start line on Sunday:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONxI1Hs8oQY
Please correct me if I'm wrong on the speed. If you go full screen you can watch it in HD. Unfortunately my video skills aren't that good but for those that couldn't make it to SW maybe it's better than nothing, lol. The last 30 seconds are pretty cool. I'll post some video from the mud mess at the bend in the road later on. My kids were in heaven and it also brought out the kid in a few others benders. This is our 5th year going as a family and we look forward to the event and the good people every year.    

I forgot to mention the Blowfish Cuda just happens to be one of my favorite cars out there. Watching Speed Demon go 426 around the 5 mile was pretty cool as well!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 05:30:10 PM by UltraCarbonFiber »
Adam Weeks
Ultra Carbon Fiber
Composite Fabrication - Specializing in Vacuum Infusion Process

Here to learn!

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #196 on: August 16, 2011, 05:31:16 PM »
Some offerings to the gods of speed.

Speed Demon turbo after ingesting a plastic bag

Speed Demon turbo that decided to eat itself

Spectre Caddy motor with connecting rods that were afraid of the dark, so they opened a hole to get some sunlight.

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #197 on: August 16, 2011, 06:02:45 PM »
Leslie Porterfield just after launch, she's getting her foot on the peg.

The Dauernheim-Biglow lakester at speed.

SGM Motorsports C/GR

The Hinton Buick.

Offline N.F.S.

• need for speed
« Reply #198 on: August 16, 2011, 06:25:27 PM »
I see bangshift.com has some videos up.

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #199 on: August 16, 2011, 06:36:07 PM »
Just got word that Kent and Randy both ran.......Kent went 185 or 186 on the electric bike and I think Randy hurt the motor.

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #200 on: August 16, 2011, 06:46:27 PM »
A sequence of shots of the Chassis Engineering AA/DS

Offline SwampRat33

• New folks
« Reply #201 on: August 16, 2011, 07:25:16 PM »
Did you catch the speed on the Chassis Engineering 'liner?

Offline Face

• New folks
« Reply #202 on: August 16, 2011, 07:27:37 PM »
Just would like to Thank-you all for posting these up-dates.   It has made my week by reading and watching all of the videos and pictures thus far.....

Ray.....thanks for all of the pictures, they are perfect !!  

Cheers

Face

Offline alvycolt45

• New folks
« Reply #203 on: August 16, 2011, 08:08:11 PM »
Here's a few pics I took yesterday at SpeedWeek.

Dried mud at the bend in the road camp.

The boat ramp was a boat ramp.

Starting Line line

Last second tuning and off he goes.

Monster Energy, make with urine + ginseng!!!???

Offline mc1984ss

« Reply #204 on: August 16, 2011, 09:51:26 PM »
I just wanted to thank everyony again, especially Ray and Slim, for all the updates and pictures! It is extremely appreciated and there is no better way to keep up with the meet since I was unable to make it this year. I was really excited to see the chassis engineering streamliner back on the salt. Does anyone have any info on it? I was hoping to see it again last year I had heard the rumor that they were putting a 2nd diesel in it but never knew for sure. Does any body know what it ran? It was not posted on SCTA's site yet.

Also I just wanted to mention how sad it was to hear about Ray. My brother and I had the pleasure of meeting him a couple times and he was nice enough to take some great elevated pictures for me. My thoughts and prayers go out to his friends and family.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #205 on: August 16, 2011, 11:43:33 PM »
In re:  The diesel Chassis Engr. car.  Nancy was in line about ten or fifteen back from the diesel 'liner so we didn't see it very wel, although the smoke and ramping sound of the motor idling/warming is hard to miss.  I think I heard ron Christensen, the radio AM 1610 announcer, talking about the car and the two motors in it.  So there's one response to the question.  I THINK it's got two now.  And then it left the line -- and I got called away for a minute or two (to move us up in the line).  When I noticed a hold was in progress -- I heard that "the yellow car" had spun.  Well, it might have been the diesel - the timing would have been about right.  So - no speeds to report, partly because maybe it spun, and mostly 'cause we (Nancy and I) were getting Nancy dressed (dang, the chores I have to live with  :-D :-D :-D) and didn't pay attention to the radio at the proper moment.

Oh, yeah -- Nancy did make a run.  It being her first run in nearly a year she was planning on a "granny" pass down the course -- 'specially since by that time - late Tuesday afternoon - we heard the course was getting pretty tired.  She discovered that it's tired, alright, spinning up and having to pedal it here and there through the four -- and then she says it was sorta like driving on Crisco from the 4 to the 5.  So she didn't do much more than a 165 or so in the fastest mile - the middle one.  No big deal -- three more days in this meet and two more meets out here this year, so why not just have fun instead of trying too hard and hurting something - or someone?

That's it for now.  Tomorrow is Wednesday and that's the evening when the 200 MPH Club banquet is, and then Thursday night is the Community banquet for the volunteers (well, banquet isn't the right word -- it's burgers and potato salad and is really a kick 'cause it's so light-hearted), and Friday is the last night of the meet.  Ray and I will keep posting what we can and trying to help those of you not out here - to live the event vicariously through our observations.  Okay?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #206 on: August 17, 2011, 12:06:00 AM »
Monday results are up!

Short course: 989 AA     DS      Chassis Engineering Special 119.201 103.082 122.556

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #207 on: August 17, 2011, 12:58:09 AM »
I know this sounds a little funny but this thread is only on it's 14 page....Personally I thought it would have been a lot more. I guess more stayed home last year....Thanks Ray and Slim...............................JD (I'll be there in October)
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #208 on: August 17, 2011, 09:31:37 AM »
One quick shot from last night where I camped...it's the usual fireworks at the Bend.

One more.  Nancy Wennerberg (Mrs Seldom Seen Slim) at speed)

Offline Tman

« Reply #209 on: August 17, 2011, 10:05:15 AM »
A note on the fireworks. We had none but got hasseled by one older BLM Ranger on Sat. night. He came rolling into two of our camps accusing us of shooting fireworks with his chest all puffed out. He then told one of the ADULTS in our group standing around the campfire that he should not be drinking out there. The younger rangers with him rolled their eyes behind his back at this point :roll:

They were also parked in the scrub to the west in a perimeter on Friday night waiting for the hooliganism.

For the record, the younger Rangers were cool, the night before one of the same guys stopped and checked on a kid in a wheelchair aand gave him a souvineer badge, very nice gesture.