Author Topic: 130 Club Monte Carlo lives!  (Read 17475 times)

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
130 Club Monte Carlo lives!
« on: August 09, 2011, 09:01:53 AM »
I finally got my 85 Monte Carlo SS running and moving under its own power.  It's only been outta action for 10 years.  Nothing serious...yeahrightsure.

All the details (rather lengthy build diary) are here:
http://www.chevyasylum.com/85monte/Welcome.html but the basics include suspension set up more for Pro-Touring than anything else, a 406 smallblock with AFR heads, Comp Cams XR282 roller cam, AED 950 cfm carb, MSD ignition (6AL box, Pro Billet distributor, Blaster coil), Wade Austin TH200-4R trasmission, 3500 rpm torque converter and a buncha other stuff.

It still has a relatively stock interior...but if we're successful in the 130 Club attempt, the interior will get stripped, a cage, racing seats and 5-point harnesses installed to run in the 150 Club in 2012.  But right now I'm just concentrating on this year.  Ohh...the black paint will be stripped off due to terminal lacquer crack (damned GM water-based paint) and the car will change from black to red...but that's a long way off.

I'm very grateful to Chris Lindh, owner of https://www.partsforspeed.com/ who stepped up and offered his support as a sponsor and supplied the carb and the rest of the fuel delivery system.  Without his help, I never would have made it.  I suggest checking out his website if ya need speed parts.

There's still a lotta work to be done, but getting it running was the peak of the curve...I'm hoping that I'll be on the downward slope and that I have the biggest chunk behind me.  I'll tell ya, just being able to fire it up and back it out into the driveway was a HUGE milestone. 

I'll have to intersperse the remainder of the work into the time between SW, BUB and then WoS, of course.  But if ya come up to Jack Rabbit Flats above the Bend in the Road, you'll see one very "happy camper."  :)

Well, it's time to go do some fluid level checks before the pre-Speed Week preparation thrash.

Offline SaltRat

Re: 130 Club Monte Carlo lives!
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 09:12:30 AM »
Attaboy Ray!

The black Patina looks good for a race car.  Perhaps you could give lessons on "how to get free raceparts"???

what's up w/ that red thing in the background????

cheers, and good luck!
SaltRat
When (if?) this baby hits 88mph, you'll see some serious poo.

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 09:31:01 AM »
The red thing in the background is my beater/grocery getter/parts runner 88 Camaro (2.8L V6 & 5-speed) that's been a whore's nightmare to get into a functional state...but it runs pretty nicely now...much better than when I got it a few months ago.

Offline Leadfoot

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 10:36:34 AM »
Ray the car looks FAST ! good luck on the 130 club. Gary

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 12:11:53 PM »
Thanks, Gary.  I hope it goes as fast as it looks.  ;)

Offline mc1984ss

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 03:02:52 PM »
Ray, I just wanted to wish you good luck at the world of speed. The Monte carlo looks great and I hope that someone can get some pictures of it on the salt. I have been a huge Monte Carlo SS fan for years and and to see yours prpped for Bonneville is great! Good luck to you and be safe! Thanks again for all the work you do to bring us all great pictures and info!

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2011, 05:03:19 PM »
Ray, I'm a huge fan of your photo work, but I'm so glad that you're making some wheel time for yourself - you've earned it.

Go get 'em, chief!  :cheers:
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Tman

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2011, 06:14:15 PM »
Same here Ray, have fun!!!

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2011, 08:18:23 PM »
Ray, you probably don't remember, as you were very busy. I briefly chatted with you at one of the starting lines- I believe I was with Stan Back at the time.

Anyway, good luck- I hope you make the 130 club! :cheers:
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 09:02:43 PM by 38flattie »
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2011, 08:44:55 PM »
  Ray,
  The Salt Cat team says: Go for it!. [Beer at 11:00].
    Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline salt27

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2011, 11:02:40 PM »
Ray,
My guess is you are running the 130 club with a 150 club motor.
Pay close attention to the GPS lag, they get a little testy with 150+ runs on the 130 course.
Don't ask how I know. :wink:

Don

Offline Freud

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2011, 12:25:29 AM »
Ray, call your Mother.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2011, 08:51:36 AM »
Ray,
My guess is you are running the 130 club with a 150 club motor.
Pay close attention to the GPS lag, they get a little testy with 150+ runs on the 130 course.
Don't ask how I know. :wink:

Don

Pretty darned close.  If it had a cage, seats and harnesses, it'd be a 150 Club car.  It actually has a working speedometer in addition to the GPS, so I think we'll be ok.  At least that's the plan. 

Offline Leadfoot

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2011, 11:12:14 AM »
Next year the 150 club ?  See ya on the salt... Gary

Offline Freud

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2011, 06:23:17 PM »
As clarvoient as Ray and I have become must be what rang my fone as I was reaching to call him.

Jims truck is loaded, I should say OVERLOADED, Ray is ready to load his race car and this will assure that they will

drive into the blinding brightness of the setting sun.

It's apparent to me that Ray is up against the rev limiter. I wonder how long he can maintain that.

FREUD

Since '63